Existing first high bridge in Levensau after the reconstruction of 1955 with widening of the lanes and dismantling of the tower superstructuresSource: WSA Kiel-Holtenau
Visualization side view of the new replacement construction of the first high bridge LevensauSource: WSA Kiel-Holtenau
Visualization frontal view of the new replacement construction of the first high bridge LevensauSource: WSA Kiel-Holtenau
The combined pedestrian, road and railroad elevated viaduct Levensau was built in 1894 and is the oldest bridge structure spanning the Kiel Canal. It leads the Kreisstraße 24 and the railroad line Kiel-Eckernförde across the NOK. From 2024 onwards, the technical life of the bridge is expected to come to an end. A new replacement construction is economically more cost-effective than repairing the bridge.
In the past, the bridge was repeatedly rebuilt and adapted to the traffic needs of road and rail, but no adaptation to the traffic development of water transport has taken place since the first widening in 1914. The bridge spans the narrowest point in the entire route of the Kiel Canal.
With the replacement of the first "Levensauer Hochbrücke", it will be possible to ensure the sustainability of the Kiel Canal.
A transparent bridge construction was chosen for the replacement new building, which will be erected on the same site and is intended to remind us of the old, omitted construction. The southern abutment will be built over without having to bear the weight of the new bridge and will remain an important bat wintering ground.
The construction of the site road on the northern bank of the canal is planned to start in summer 2020. The new site road will optimize the flow of site traffic. Instead of using the "Am Kanal" road, the site access road thus leads directly from the west side of the northern bridge embankment into the construction site.
In order to determine the best possible structural solution for the project, it was first structured into several sub-projects. EPLASS is used in one of these subprojects. The overall project is divided into:
- Canal widening in the area of canal kilometer 93.2 to 94.2 including bank walls, earthworks above and below water embankment protection and concepts for using and transferring the excavated earth
- Pillar and foundation securing of the existing second "Levensauer Hochbrücke" (B76 bridge)
- Replacement of the bridge superstructure including foundations
- Securing the southern abutment as a bat habitat
- Traffic planning of the crossing traffic routes road and rail
Facts and figures
- Combined railway-road bridge, double-articulated arch in steel construction with intersected roadway (orthotropic roadway platform).
- Clear spans 28 - 182 - 31 meters
- Single-track railroad system, load class LM 71 (electrification optionally considered)
- Road Load class LM 1, 2-lane road cross-section with width = 2 x 3.50 meters
- Combined pedestrian and bicycle path with width = 2.75 meters
Further information: Project website Levensauer Hochbrücke
Project Manager; Business Development Manager EMEA
phone: +49 (931) 35503-776
phone: +49 (931) 35503-735
Successful project management with EPLASS:
For the construction project "Levensauer Hochbrücke" the EPLASS Professional Drawing Management with complex workflow automation is used for the execution planning. Various designers, inspection engineers, the Kiel-Holtenau Waterway and Shipping Authority and the Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) authorities authorized to submit building documents are integrated into the workflows. The administration and review of drawings and statics is carried out in individual workflows. Automated repro orders are controlled via the workflow and are used to support the checking of drawings and for the construction site. We are happy about our first EPLASS waterway project!